Pantries have always been our favorite thing to organize - but a fridge, which is kind of a pantry's cousin, can be just as fun. And the good news, is that an organized fridge is actually pretty simple to achieve.
1. CLEAN IT OUT // No really. Take every single thing out. It will give you the opportunity to toss any old food (you are not going to eat those leftovers, just get rid of them), check expiration dates, and wipe down all the shelves.
2. GROUP LIKE ITEMS // Once everything is emptied out of the fridge, create groupings: Dairy, Meat / Poultry, Veggies, Fruit, Snacks, etc.
3. ALLOCATE THE SPACE // Divide your fridge into zones to match the categories you created. Make sure to leave a spot for food storage containers and leftovers!
4. CONTAIN IT // Whether it's with food storage or fridge bins, it's always a good idea to have your items contained so they stay within their zone. Not only does it keep your fridge clean and uncluttered, but a defined space also helps you easily take stock of your items before heading to the grocery store.
5. LABEL, LABEL, LABEL // Labeling helps identify the contents of your drawer or bin, and also helps you easily put away groceries. Your husband will not put the lettuce where the eggs are supposed to go if you add an appropriate label. To add permanent labels, we recommend a paint marker. For labeling something like cook times or expiration dates, we suggest a chalk marker so that you can easily update.
The bottom line is an organized fridge requires discipline to maintain. You need to make the effort to put things back in their place, to not buy groceries you don't need or use, and to throw out old items on a regular basis. If you can give your fridge a refresh every 2-3 months, it will always look as good as it did on day 1!
How To Brighten Your Mood With Color
We chatted with @colormecourtney (aka Courtney Quinn) who continues to inspire us on the reg with her infectiously positive spirit and colorful & joyful style. Courtney shares how color helps spark...
Our Sleep Must-Haves + Tips From Arianna Huffington
We're such a snooze...but in the best way! As we wrap up "Fresh Start February" we are tackling all things sleep. While Joanna is an early riser and Clea likes...
Q&A: Fitness Tips and Staying Motivated with Peloton's Robin Arzón
It's week 2 of Fresh Start February and the focus is all about achieving our fitness goals in baby steps that lead to big wins over time. To help us...