2. What personal information we collect and why we collect it
The Personal Information we collect from you depends on whether you are merely browsing the Site or using the Site in a more comprehensive way. For example, we collect Personal Information from you as follows:
- IP address;
- browser type and version;
- geographic location;
- the time, date, and length of time you use the Site;
- pages you view, including the time spent on each page and clicks on each page;
- how you got to the Site (i.e., referring URL) and any links you click on to leave the Site;
- when you update your information, communicate with us, or order products or services on the Site;
- metadata about your use of the Site and your emails you send (including clicks and opens); and
- other interactions with the Site.
You can adjust the permissions within your browser or device operating system. However, if you set your browser to disable certain technologies, such as cookies, some features of the Site may not function properly. For more information about our use of tracking technologies, please see Section 7 below.
b) When you Register an Account with the Site. To create an account with the Site you must provide your first and last name, a working email address, your phone number, and create a password for your account. We collect this information to perform our commercial contract with you.
c) When you Make a Purchase or Book our Services through the Site. If you make a purchase through the Site, we will also collect your payment card information and shipping address to fulfill your purchase. However, payment card information is processed by a third-party payments processor and we do not store your complete payment card information. If you purchase a gift card for someone else through the Site, you must provide the recipient’s name and shipping address and you may include a message with your gift. If you initiate the process of booking our home organization services through the Site, we will ask you to provide additional information for your request and someone from our team will reach out to you directly.
d) When you Submit an Inquiry through the Site. Users may submit a General Inquiry or Press Inquiry through the Site by providing their name, email address, message subject, and message content. If you do not wish to use an inquiry form, you may email your inquiry to the appropriate email address listed in the Contact section of the Site.
f) When you apply for a job through the Site. Users may apply for a job with The Home Edit through the Site by providing their name, email address, phone number, geographic location, ability to travel, resume, video submission and how they heard about The Home Edit. If you do not wish to use the Careers form, you may email your inquiry to the appropriate email address listed in the Contact section of the Site.
3. How we use personal information
We have a legitimate interest in running a successful and efficient business and in providing you with Site and useful content, and we use the information we collect, both on its own and combined with any other information we collect about you, for the following purposes:
- To provide the requested products and services to you and ensure the Site’s proper functioning.
- To respond to customer inquiries, diagnose product and Site problems, and provide other customer care and support services.
- For our market research purposes and to develop and improve our The Home Edit products and the Site, including maintaining and improving the performance of our The Home Edit services, using search queries and clicks to improve the relevance of search results and using usage data to determine what new features to prioritize.
- To provide electronic newsletters and other updates about our products and services.
- To tailor services on the Site to suit your personal interests and the manner in which you use the Site.
- We use data to protect the security and safety of our The Home Edit products, services and our customers, to detect and prevent fraud, to resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
- We use data to develop aggregate analysis and business intelligence that enable us to operate, protect, make informed decisions, and report on the performance of our business.
- To analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies and to deliver and personalize our communications with you.
- If we need to respond to valid legal process, including, but not limited to, a search warrant, subpoena, or court order, and any other instance when we believe we are required to do so by law.
4. How we share your personal information
c) Legal Process and Protection from Harm. If legally required to do so, or if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary, we may disclose your Personal Information to courts of law, law enforcement authorities and other relevant third parties, (i) to conduct an investigation, (ii) to respond to a third party or law enforcement subpoena or court order, or (iii) to bring legal action, prevent harm to others or pursue other relief, in each aforementioned case when you or a third party are or may be:
- causing injury or other harm to, or otherwise violating the property or other legal rights, of us, other users, or third parties; or
- violating federal, state, local, or other applicable law.
5. How long we retain your data
We may retain your Personal Information in our active systems as long as needed to meet the purposes for which it was collected or to fulfill the other purposes outlined herein. The duration for which we store your Personal Information depends on the purpose for which the information is being used.
6. What rights you have over your data
Some features of the Site may allow you to review, update, or delete certain of your Personal Information from your profile or to cancel your account. Where this function is not available or you would like assistance with exercising your legally-granted Personal Information rights, please contact us at email@example.com. Please note that we will require you to verify your identity before responding to any requests to exercise your rights by providing details only known to the account holder.
7. Tracking Technologies
a) Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies. However, you may edit your browser options to block them in the future. The “Help” function within most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Users of the Site who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the website, but some features may not function.
c) Do-Not-Track. Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in Section 7.a above (e.g., by disabling cookies). You also may opt-out of targeted advertising by following the instructions in Section 7.d below.
d) Third Party Advertising Networks. Advertisers may also use technologies like cookies and web beacons to enable them to recognize your computer each time they send you an advertisement even when you are visiting another site. As a result, the advertiser would have the ability to deliver targeted advertisements that they believe would be of most interest to you. We do not have access to or control of the cookies that may be placed on your computer by third-party advertisers.
Users may opt out of many third-party ad networks. For example, you may go to the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA") Consumer Choice Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and their choices regarding having information used by DAA companies. You may also go to the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") Consumer Opt-Out Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and their choices regarding having information used by NAI members.
For avoidance of doubt, if we provide links to social media platforms (including the ability to like, share, or view content on those platforms), such as Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, and you choose to visit those websites through our links, or if you use these platforms to log into the Site, please note that the information you post, transmit or otherwise make available on or through those platforms will be shared with those platforms and may be viewed by the general public. We do not control user-posted content on social media homepages and are not responsible for any third-party use of your information that you have posted, transmitted, or otherwise made available there.
9. Security. We have taken steps to help protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
10. Your California Privacy Rights
a) This section applies only to California residents who use the Site. It describes how we collect, use, and share Personal Information of California residents in our capacity as a “business” under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (together, the “CCPA”) and their rights with respect to that Personal Information. For purposes of this section, “Personal Information” has the meaning given in the CCPA but does not include information exempted from the scope of the CCPA.
b) Your Rights. As a California resident, you have the rights listed below. However, these rights are not absolute, and in certain cases we may decline your request as permitted by law.
- Correction.You can request that we correct any inaccurate Personal Information that we hold about you.
- Access. You can request, up to two times each year, that we disclose the categories and/or specific pieces of Personal Information that we collect, use, disclose, and may sell.
- Deletion. You can ask us to delete the Personal Information that we have collected from you, subject to certain exceptions such as to complete a transaction for you, to exercise our rights, or to comply with a legal obligation.
- Limit the Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information. If we use or disclose your “Sensitive Personal Information” for purposes beyond those which are necessary to provide the services or goods you have requested, you have the right to limit the use or disclosure of you Sensitive Personal Information to only those purposes which are necessary to provide the services or goods you have requested.
- Opt-out of Sale or Sharing. If we sell or share your Personal Information with third parties, you can opt-out of any such sale or sharing of your Personal Information.
- Nonretaliation. You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from retaliation as prohibited by the CCPA.
c) Exercising your Rights under the CCPA. You may submit an access or deletion request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 310-432-9706. We will need to verify your identity to process your request and reserve the right to confirm your California residency. To verify your identity, we may require you to verify your email address, or to provide government identification or other information. Your authorized agent may make a request on your behalf upon our verification of the agent’s identity and our receipt of a copy of a valid power of attorney given to your authorized agent pursuant to California Probate Code Sections 4000-4465. If you have not provided your agent with such a power of attorney, you must provide your agent with written and signed permission to exercise your CCPA rights on your behalf, provide the information we request to verify your identity, and provide us with written confirmation that you have given the authorized agent permission to submit the request.
d) Personal information that we Collect, Use and Disclose. The list below summarizes the Personal Information we collect through the Site by reference to the categories of Personal Information specified in the CCPA. Please see Section 2 above for a general description of the Personal Information we collect through the Site.
- Categories of Personal Information Collected: Identifiers/biographical information, commercial information, payment card information, internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation information, visual information, and inferences drawn from the above. The sources of this information are the consumer, analytics providers, and service providers.
- Disclosure of Personal Information: In the last 12 months, we disclosed the following categories of personal information to our service providers for business purposes: Identifiers/biographical information, commercial information, payment card information, internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation information, visual information, and inferences drawn from the above.
- “Sale” or “Sharing” of Personal Information: In the last 12 months, we have not “sold” or “disclosed” Personal Information to third-parties for their “business purposes” or “commercial purposes” as such terms are defined in the CCPA, nor do we offer financial incentives associated with our collection, use, or disclosure of your Personal Information. We also do not currently use or disclose Sensitive Personal Information for purposes beyond those which are necessary to provide the services or goods that have been requested.
e) California Shine the Light Law. In addition to the above rights, if you are a California resident, you may request that we provide to you: (i) a list of the categories of Personal Information about you that we have disclosed to third-parties for those third-parties’ direct marketing purposes during the calendar year preceding your request; (ii) the names and addresses of such third-parties; and (iii) if the nature of the third-parties’ businesses cannot reasonably be determined from their names, examples of the products or services marketed, if known to us, sufficient to give you a reasonable indication of the nature of the third-parties’ businesses. To submit your request, please e-mail us at email@example.com. However, please note that as stated above, we do not currently disclose Personal Information to third-parties for those third-parties’ direct marketing purposes.11. Children. The Site is not directed to persons under 18. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13 becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information without such parent or guardian’s consent, he or she should contact us and we will delete such information from our files.
Introducing...Backstock! Our weekly curation of all things The Home Edit that you won't find anywhere else!